Tuesday, July 21, 2009

To the defense of the Half-Blood Prince


"A total bore. I was yawning until the credits rolled."

"Dumbledore's death scene didn't move me."

"A lot of details in the book were left out in the film."

"Where's Dumbledore's funeral scene?"

"Where's the bathroom? I gotta pee."


Such were the comments I heard as I leave the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince screening. Like Deatheaters ready to pounce on our dear Harry, these fantards were dismayed at how director David Yates interpreted the sixth installment. And fortunately, I'm not one of them.

These amateur critics like to contradict themselves. They dismissed this film as boring, yet they would like every detail in the book to be included. What they don't realize is that it would further prolong the film twice its 2.5-hour running time. And what do you call a film that's running for over five hours?

BORING.

I'm a hardcore fan, but I'm not a fantard. That's exactly the reason why I'm satisfied with how Yates and writer Steve Kloves helmed the film. The filmmakers provided enough emotional build-up leading to the last installment, the Deathly Hallows. The Half-Blood Prince may be devoid of action, but with enough depth and soul that is the essence of Harry Potter. The film wants us to go beyond the Quidditch tournaments and the fight scenes; it wants us to feel every pathos of our protagonist as he prepares for the big battle against He-WHo-Must-Not-Be-Named. The hormonal crew of Harry, Hermione and Ron have all grown up, and we, the fans, must follow suit.

I was also impressed at how Daniel Radcliffe and the gang have evolved through the years. Radcliffe showed an impressive acting range, probably a product of his theater, uhm, "exposure". Emma Watson delivered a nuanced performance, while Rupert Grint is as funny as hell.

But nothing is funnier than this conversation I overheard during the screening:

Coño GIRL: I sooo hate this film. I think it's so panget. It's a bit bitin, kase they left out a lot of stuff in the book. Ew.

Coño BOY: Wait, 'di ba you were not able to finish the book?

Coño GIRL: Uhm, yeah. It's not my fault I'm super busy.


Like, duh?

2 comments:

Hibernating Bear said...

Haven't seen the movie. So sad. Alam mo na bawal ang sinehan dito sa Saudi, sounds stupid but yes. One reason maybe is that they can afford those humongous LCD and plasma screens right at their own houses.

I attempted at getting some torrents of the new Harry Potter but it isn't available yet. I might as well wait. Well I just read the book and could say that this novel is really fantastic. A reader/viewer must appreciate the entirety of Rowling's Potter and not stop at Quidditch and magic wand. The novel is progressing and it does not stop at Harry, Hermione and Ron being at First year all novel-long. Somehow, they must grow up or the novel don't have anything different to offer like a stagnant water with mosquito wrigglers.

I like the way those coños reacted. They really make my day..

Can someone send me a DVD of the Half-Blood Prince?

Mommy in School said...

I have yet to watch the first, I am sooooo behind! I guess I better stock up on the book too! :(

Mahalia