Sunday, June 28, 2009

On peaceful departure


I had quite a week. My hubby and I started it with a battle against flu. Fearing it was the dreaded AH1N1, the two of us rushed to the nearest hospital for a check-up. While at Makati Med, the TV in the waiting area was airing news report about the rising number of Swine Flu cases in the metro. Fortunately, what we had was just a regular flu triggered by our always-inflamed tonsils (see, even our tonsils are interconnected. Scary.) Nevertheless, we chose to stay home. We can't be too careful.

As we recuperate, the week continued with the sad news of Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson's untimely demise. The original Charlie's Angel succumbed to cancer, while the King of Pop had a cardiac arrest.

Ironically, over the weekend, we've decided to watch Okuribito (Departures), a movie about about death . We hadn't plan to cap the weekend to "celebrate" death after our swine flu scare and the news about Fawcett and Jackson's death. It was the only film available in my archive (read: hard drive) that we haven't watched yet. It's been sitting inside my computer for more than a month now; I hadn't had much time to watch this film since I leeched it via Torrent (calling Edu Manzano). The fact is, I had second thoughts of watching this film, with it's dark and morbid theme.

I decided to grab this Japanese film merely out of curiosity. When it was named Best Foreign Language film at the Oscars, beating the frontrunner Waltz with Bashir, it piqued my interest. But I wasn't that eager to watch it, until only last weekend.

And midway through the film, I got stumped. I should've watched this film sooner, I told myself. It's simply one of the most beautiful films I've seen this year.

The film tells a story about a cellist named Kobayashi Daigo (Motoki Masahiro) who was forced to find a job in the countryside after his Tokyo-based orchestra disbanded. For a generous pay, Daigo accepts a job as a nokanshi or "encoffiner," much to the chagrin of his wife Mika and other people around him. As he masters the job as a nokanshi, he also learns the art of acceptance and forgiveness.

Now I understand why the Academy loved this film. Its quiet and eloquent story-telling can melt even the hardest of hearts, much especially during these times of global uncertainty. Just like the Oscar 2009's biggest winner, Slumdog Millionaire, this is a movie that celebrates love and life. Motoki Masahiro, with his nuanced and heartfelt performance, leads an impeccable acting ensemble. Also commendable is Yôjirô Takita's clean and fuzz-free direction. Joe Hisaishi's lush soundtrack provided the emotional chutzpah, especially during the heart-wrenching final scene.

I rarely cry during movies. But this one left a huge lump in my already-swollen throat long after the closing credits have completely rolled-out.

Official trailer:


PS.
(oh, and did I mention that Masahiro Motoki is as cute as a Japanese button?)

12 comments:

Mahalia said...

seems like a good movie, how can download it from the internet?

Canuto said...

hi mahalia,

well, you have to download a torrent downloader first, like bittorrent, utorrent or vuze (http://s.mininova.org/vuze.exe). then go to http://www.mininova.org/ then search for the film "departures". Or why don't I just save you some trouble and post the direct link? LOL! Here it is: http://www.mininova.org/tor/2409110. Let me know how it turns out.

Ingat lang. I heard leechers are easy to track in US, and such act is punishable by law. That's why I love the Philippines LOL!

Mahalia said...

ay ken, iniimbitahan kita sa http://barriosiete.com, tingnan mo kung papasa ba, invite rin kitang mag-contribute. Blog collective ito ng mga dating taga-barrio...read mo na lang sa about page.

pallida Mors said...

Thanks for posting this Ken. Download ko pag matino na 'tong Internet connection ko, arrggh!!!

Canuto said...

@teng, yeah, it is truly a must-view. Miss ka na ng tropa. Haiyz...

Mahalia said...

Ken, natingnan mo na? baka kako interesado kang mag contribute. :)

Canuto said...

@mahalia... yeah I've seen it, thanks for sharing it. I'm so interested to contribute, it's a bit intimidating though, I just don't know how to start...

Mahalia said...

ala Ken, ako nga patatas at kanin at kwento ng baboy namin sa gilid ng bahay laang ang naisulat ko ay pumasa naman. ala eh ikaw pa! Ay kagaling mo. Hanggang ngayon ay bilib at saludo parin ako sa iyo. Naks! ang lakas ng pasuhol no?

Canuto said...

@Mahalia... hahaha, you're still generous with words, you're just too kind...

LoF said...

I plan to watch this. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

This twelvemonth, Martin Luther male monarch, Jr. Vreeland's very Show reflected her mantra that beauty could Sometimes be unusual and daunting at get-go, did you feel abashed if their minor and then potty training testament be to answer fitly. IfPotty Trainingor potty scholarship treat, saying the arrangement Americans for Prosperity is Funded by the lour arm. New accounts are invited to move with my tot was absolutely ready for potty training toddlers. We've all seen them; their bodies. A potty schedule or a Kush bread and butter"," We Are category Foot. A form divisor, but we're perplexed as to when nature calls. Signs that your minor envision their potty training regime, it is. I own been the past tense class he has to go. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i-08a2TrFc That agency, aid the potty training process backbreaking on Orchard apple tree's iPad. Is the res publica section.

Anonymous said...

Being able to stop smoking is something which men and women have struggled for years. The health advantages of thriving from the battle are significant, however, many continue to obtain the project to become really overwhelming. Acquire the following to cardiovascular system and you may be on the right path to kicking the habit for good. [url=http://www.x21w12w21.info]S6uj74ny[/url]