Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Another feather on Juan dela Cruz's hat...


For those who have been accusing me as a crab for my anti-Manny Pacquiao sentiments, here's something that I'm genuinely proud of. Pinoy auteur Brilliante Mendoza just arrived home with a freshly-minted Cannes award for his much ballyhooed opus entitled Kinatay. This isn't your ordinary Turkmenistan film festival or other run-of-the-mill competition. THIS IS CANNES.

I feel an immense sense of nationalism over Mendoza's triumph; I am a hundred times prouder of his achievement compared to Pacman's victory against that pathetic Brit. This is an entirely different boxing ring; Mendoza slugged it out with critics who deemed Kinatay as "unwatchable." Major film reviewers pan the film, including Roger Ebert, who said that the film is easily the worst ever to compete in Cannes.

Well, screw the critics. The judges were obviously impressed with Mendoza's work, and just for sheer effort, I applaud him. Here's a true-blooded hero who gives us a glimmer of hope that someday, we can bring back the glorious years of Philippine cinema. Critics notwithstanding, he represented the country not for the sake of money or fame or political ambition. Here's an artist who was able to beat cinema heavyweights like Tarantino, von Trier and Almodovar, despite limited financing from the government; a government who continuously charge a hefty sum (30% amusement tax) from our struggling film industry.

So, my dear Pinoys, there's much more to life than boxing and Aling Dionisia.

6 comments:

Mahalia said...

hi ken, thanks for the link. Congratulations sa nanalo sa Cannes. Napanood mo ba yung movie? may link kaya ito sa youtube?

Canuto said...

@mahalia

Searched utube, unfortunately only trailer is available. I have yet to see the entire film... I can't wait, sana makayanan ako.. I heard it's tough to sit through the entire film...

by the way, I'm blown away by your blog... wish I have the talent... misyah!

Unknown said...

nice post ken.

Canuto said...

@madocs... woi touch naman ako... may nagtityaga magbasa ng blog ko... in the middle of voice writing pa hahahaha!!!

silent storm said...

I don't really care that much for boxing, art films, Olympics, the anti-Christ, bloody Brits, bland food, the Catholic dogmas, etc. I reckon I am almost autistic because I do find myself self-preoccupied a lot of times -- but then it all boils down to different folks having different strokes.

Cheers -- or mabuhay (does it matter?!? LOL)

Glad to see another familiar face in the blogosphere Canuto :-)

Canuto said...

@silent storm...

hey thanks for welcoming me into the blogosphere... actually this is my nth attempt to maintain a blog... i intend to keep it, thank you...